» Flag of County Eo-Navia
» County Eo-Navia
» Parishes of Co. Eo-Navia
» I'd like to buy this flag!
» Back to the County Flags page..»
» Back to the homepage..»
of County Eo-Navia
- The horizontal green-white-green bands on the flag field are a reference to the modern flag of Castropol. The township was the historical capital of the region until the modern municipal division in 18 community countils took place. The green-white-green horizontal bands represent the colours used to paint the fishing boats in the area.
- The red saltire is the historical flag used by the county militia in the war against France between 1809-1811. The flag is a red St Andrew's cross over a white field, also known as the Burgundy Cross, and is currently kept in the local chapel in Castropol.
County Eo-Navia is named after the two main rivers in the region, which also draw the county borders to the west (river Eo) and to the east (river Navia).
In the Celtic times, the eonavian region was populated by a Galician tribe called the Albion (the same name as the oldest known name of the island of Great Britain). As such, the region was a part of Gallaecia, the ancient name of Galicia.
During the Middle Ages, the Eo-Navia territory belonged to the Galician Bishopric of Britonia, which was one of the most important bishoprics or provinces of the Kingdom of Gallaecia.
In the 12th century, the Galician Bishopric of Lugo transferred the Eo-Navia region on to the Bishopric of Oviedo in the Principality of Asturias. Although the territory became formally administered by Oviedo, Eo-Navia stayed known as Terra de Ribadeo -its former Galician name- for the following centuries. Ecclesiastical administration also kept the county's historical name up until the 20th century as Archdeaconry of Ribadeo.
During the 19th century, Eo-Navia was reunified with Galicia in most of the provincial divisions undertaken by the Spanish governments of the time. Reunification was planned in the 1810, 1813, and 1821 provincial projects of the Spanish government.
The current provincial division of Spain was eventually carried out by the Andalusian minister Javier de Burgos in 1833, who changed the previous governmental projects and took Eo-Navia out of Galicia. Yet, some years later in 1842, an amendment was presented to the Spanish Parliament in order to allow Eo-Navia to be reunified with Galicia. The amendment would allow Eo-Navia to become a Galician province (Provincia de Ribadeo) but the call for reunification was eventually not authorised by the Spanish Parliament. In 1856, Disentailment laws passed by the Spanish Parliament agreed a common amendment for Galicia and Eo-Navia, but no further reunification plans were allowed.
After devolution of powers were granted to the Spanish regions in the 1980's, Eo-Navia stayed as a county (Comarca Eo-Navia) under Asturias' administration, yet still maintaining close cultural and historical connections with Galicia.
Do you want to know more about County Eo-Navia?
(The following are external links to local tourist websites and associations in County Eo-Navia)
» Britonia, tourist guide for north-east Galicia and county Eo-Navia
» Asociación cultural Abertal, local group for the promotion of Galician culture in Co.Eo-Navia
Flag of County Eo-Navia, made in polyester with two metal rings to allow the flag to be hoisted on a flagpole. The flag measures 150 x 90 cm.
» Please click here to see a list of Galician shops that sell this flag...»